Municipal elections for the Mayor and five Town Council Members are held on the first Saturday in May of even-numbered years. The Mayor and all Town Council Members are elected at-large and serve the Town as a whole, without compensation, for a term of two years. The next election will be held on Saturday, May 1, 2021, at a location to be determined by the Dallas County Elections Department. View the "Mayor and Town Council" page for a list of the current Mayor and Town Council Members.
The Mayor is elected separately from the Town Council Members; candidates for Mayor do not run against candidates for the Town Council Members’ seats. The Town Charter limits successive terms of office for the Mayor to three terms, the equivalent of six years of continuous service. The Mayor presides over all meetings of the Town Council and does not vote on matters coming before the Council, except in the event of a tie vote. The Mayor is the official head of the Town government.
Town Council Members
Every two years, all five Town Council Member seats are open for election. The Town Charter limits Town Council Members to three successive terms, the equivalent of six years of continuous service. Town Council Members are expected to attend Council meetings and study sessions. Each Town Council Member has an equal vote on all matters coming before the Council.
Filing Deadlines for the May 2, 2020 Election
Filing for a place on the ballot is set by State statute. The earliest day to file an application is Wednesday, January 15, 2020, and the deadline is 5:00 p.m. on Friday, February 14, 2020. The deadline to file as a write-in candidate is 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, February 18, 2020.
Additional Election-related Dates and Information
(Posted in accordance with Texas Legislature H.B. 305, effective September 1, 2019.)
Qualifications for Candidacy - Home Rule Charter Requirements: (Town Charter Chapter 2, Sec. 2.04)
- Candidate shall be at least twenty-one (21) years of age
- Candidate shall be a citizen of the United States of America and a qualified (registered) voter of the State of Texas
- Candidate shall be a qualified voter of the Town
- Candidate shall have resided for at least twelve (12) months preceding the election within the corporate limits of the Town
- Candidate shall not be in arrears in the payment of any taxes or other liabilities due the Town
- Candidate may not file for more than one office or position per election
To be eligible to vote in the Town’s municipal election, you must reside in the Town and be a registered voter. To be eligible to vote in Texas, you must:
- Be a United States citizen
- Be a resident of Dallas County
- Be 18 years of age (you may register at age 17 years and 10 months)
- Not be a convicted felon (unless sentence is completed, including any probation or parole)
- Not be declared mentally incapacitated by a court of law