Impounded Vehicles

Vehicle Towing & Storage

Various circumstances may result in an individual’s vehicle being transported to a place of safekeeping when its owner is unable to make other arrangements. In order to safely store such vehicles, the Town of Highland Park utilizes the following wrecker service:

J & J Towing Inc.
601 Digital Drive
Plano, Texas 75075
Ph: 972-380-6300

Obtaining Vehicle Possession

J & J Towing Inc. shall allow the vehicle owner or authorized representative to obtain possession of the vehicle at any time, between the hours listed on the facility information sign posted, as described in §85.1003, upon payment of all fees due, presentation of valid identification (Texas driver's license or other state or federally issued photo identification), and upon presentation of:

  • A notarized power-of-attorney
  • A court order
  • A certificate of title
  • A tax collector's receipt and a vehicle registration renewal card accompanied by a conforming identification
  • Name and address information corresponding to that contained in the files of the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
  • A current automobile lease or rental agreement executed by the operator of the vehicle or a person holding a power of attorney executed by the person named in the lease agreement
  • Appropriate identification of any state or federal law enforcement agency representative
  • The most recent version of a department-approved form or electronic version of a department-approved form published on the department’s website; which the vehicle storage facility must make available to the vehicle owner or person seeking possession of or access to the vehicle


The Town’s contracted wrecker service (J & J Towing Inc.) is a privately owned business and charges a fee for towing and storage. If your vehicle was removed from the roadway following a motor vehicle accident, notify your insurance agent. Texas laws require all vehicles to be covered by a valid insurance policy or other proof of financial responsibility in the event of a motor vehicle accident. Any obligation may be addressed by your insurance carrier. If you wish to take care of the storage fees yourself, the wrecker service is authorized to release any vehicle that does not have a “hold” placed on it by the Police Department.

Releasing Your Vehicle

In order for you to get your vehicle released, you must contact the wrecker service (the number is listed above). They will explain what steps must be taken in order to obtain the release of your vehicle. If the Police Department has placed a “hold” on the vehicle, the “hold” must be resolved with the department prior to the release of the vehicle or payment of fees.

For additional information on vehicle “holds,” storage, and release, contact HPDPS at our non-emergency number: 214-521-5000